Am I Covered?: Car Insurance QuestionsAsk your insurance agent these questions - it helps to understand the types and extent of coverage you have. There are a lot, but you’re paying a lot.
Want more questions about accident coverage and possible rate increases? Read our article Accidents - Ask Your Insurance Agent for an additional list of questions to ask.
- What is a deductible?
- What is Personal Injury Protection and how do I know if I need it?
- What is included on an umbrella liability policy and when do I need one?
- What is the difference between liability, comprehensive, collision and full coverage insurance in terms of financial costs and also in terms of extent of coverage?
- What is the difference between cancellation and non-renewal of a policy?
- What is the amount provided for medical payments and personal injury payments? Is this a reasonable amount? What is the national average for this? What is the state average for this?
- Describe the different levels of coverage that are available for my car's make and model, and for my family situation.
- Who is covered under this policy? Are other licensed drivers (friends, family members) covered if they drive my car?
- How do I insure my teenage driver? What factors can reduce or increase the cost of his/her insurance?
- If not, does the company offer it, how much is it and what geographic areas does it include?
- Are there certain times that are/aren’t included?
- Are there services that are/aren’t included?
Uninsured, Licensed, Non-Licensed Passenger, Driver
- Are other licensed drivers covered if they drive my car? What about non-licensed drivers?
- Are passengers covered? For how much? Is that amount enough/does it fit with recommended averages by your firm?
Rental and Leased Vehicle
- Are leased or rented vehicles covered under this policy?
- If I choose not to add this coverage, do I need to get insurance that a rental car company offers when I rent a car?
- Does this insurance policy cover me anywhere in the country? What about outside of the country?
- Are personal items in the car covered in case of an accident or theft? Do I need a rider on certain items if I’d like that option?
- If I am in an accident, does the policy include legal fees if I have to go to court? If not, how is that paid for? Is that an additional charge?
- In your experience, if my vehicle is damaged, how quickly can I expect to see an adjuster?
- If the adjuster determines that the car is repairable, can I choose to take a check (less than my deductible)?
- If my car is damaged or stolen, will the policy pay for a rental vehicle
until I get my car back?
- Does this policy offer a percentage or full reimbursement?
- If not, how much more does it cost to get that?
- Am I covered if the damage to my car was due to an uninsured or under-insured motorist?
- If my car is damaged as a result of a non-collision event (such as a fire at my home or natural disaster), is it covered?
- What situations DOESN’T my insurance cover? Is there something I’m missing?
- Read our article Accidents - Ask Your Insurance Agent for an additional list of accident coverage questions to ask.
- How much insurance do I need if I have one car, two cars, etc.?
- Tell me where I fit in with national averages – am I paying average, more, or less, and what factors into your answers?
- Are there certain models of car that cost more to insure? Do I have one?
- What vehicles get the lowest insurance rates?
- Please give me a breakdown of the benefits I have, and how much it will be to insure myself at the level I’m comfortable with.
Visit your insurance company’s site for background information, descriptions and definitions of insurance terms. For any question, tell the agent to discuss options available to you, what situations warrant certain kinds of coverage and how much services add to your policy. They are always happy to help.