Choosing a Casket
Caskets move the body before burial or cremation.
How Do I Choose a Casket?
- If there were no wishes for a certain type of casket, have a friend compare casket pricing from sources outside the funeral home.
- When choosing a casket, a salesperson will show you a list of options and prices before showing you the caskets.
- Prices for caskets can vary widely depending on the material (metal, hardwood, semi-precious metals, fiberglass, plastics, steel, copper, bronze or wood), but all should come with a written warranty.
- Average casket prices are $2,000 and can rise to more than $10,000. Costs vary depending upon accessories and features.
- A funeral home cannot charge you a fee for using a casket purchased elsewhere through an alternate source. Nor can they ask a family member to be present for the casket delivery, or make funeral services contingent on purchasing a casket or outer container.