Safe Wallet, Safe Purse: Tips for Shopping SafelyHere are 10 quick tips for keeping your purse and wallet safe while shopping.
- Choose a purse/bag with a strap and a zipper and keep it closed.
- Carry your bag with one arm across it or with the strap crossing your body. Wear the strap under your jacket or sweater.
- Keep your keys and phone separate from your handbag. Why? If your purse is stolen, you'll be stranded with no car keys and no immediate way to
WHN TIP: Quick Errand? Carry Light.
Short errand? If possible, leave your purse at home and carry only what you need in pants or shirt pocket.
WHN TIP: Wallet Security
To minimize leaving your wallet somewhere, establish the habit of returning it a secure inside pocket of a coat, jacket or purse.
- Remove rarely used credit cards from your wallet and store them in a safe place at home.
- Do not carry any IDs you don't need for shopping (insurance cards, Social Security card).
WHN TIP: Carry Smart and Only as Needed
Medical cards often use your social security number as your account number – carry your card only as needed.
- If you carry a PDA, make sure it’s password-locked when not in use.
- When shopping, you'll be collecting store receipts as well as debit/ATM card receipts. Clean these out of your purse or wallet after each shopping trip and put them in an envelope or folder. This limits unnecessary papers and mess.
- Before each shopping trip, mentally itemize what's in your purse and wallet. This will give you an idea of what to report to an insurance agent in case of theft.
- Keep a list of emergency phone numbers (bank, credit card companies, insurance agent) at home and at your office. Why? Many people use lunch
hours for shopping. In case of a theft or loss, you'll have emergency numbers nearby.